SPOTLIGHT SPRING 2019:
Spotlight Creative Arts Academy is excited to launch OUR 12th YEAR, as well as the 4th year of our Creative Arts Academy! Take a look at our 2018 - 2019 Spotlight Schedule HERE.
SPOTLIGHT CREATIVE ARTS ACADEMY is excited to announce our Spring 2019 production of…
Based on the original Broadway production that ran for over thirteen years and was nominated for nine Tony Awards, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Jr. is a fantastic adaptation of this adventurous story of transformation. This production features some of the most popular songs ever written by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman, along with the new songs by Mr. Menken and Tim Rice.
The classic story tells of Belle, a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast, who is really a young price trapped under the spell of an enchantress. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end and he will be transformed to his former self. But time is running out. If the Beast does not learn his lesson soon, he and his household will be doomed for all eternity.
Join us for this “tale as old as time”, Beauty and the Beast Jr.
Save-the-Dates for Spring 2019:
- Saturday, 1/5/19- Audition Workshop
Monday/Tuesday, 1/7 & 1/8- Auditions ~ Saturday, 1/12- Callbacks
Academy Classes and Rehearsals begin the week of 1/14
Performances Friday, 5/3 through Sunday, 5/5
Registration information coming soon! Audition Workshop is highly encouraged for anyone interested in auditioning, as it will allow the director staff more time to observe students then a short audition allows. Audition time slots fill up each year, so sign up early! Priority for audition timeslots is given to students enrolled in Spotlight’s Creative Arts Annual Academy.
For more information, go to: www.calvarycc.org/spotlight
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have been thrilled with the overwhelming response to our Spotlight Academy the last 3 years! Academy classes offer students the opportunity to grow and develop their skills, while working with industry professionals in a small group setting! We are continually expanding our offerings to give additional opportunities to train in various aspects of Creative Arts. All students in 2nd - 12th grades are encouraged to sign up annually to join Spotlight Academy, which will entitle them to the following benefits:
- Academy Classes (Fall and Spring sessions)- Fall 2018 classes include: Musical Theatre, Acting Classes, Guitar and Songwriting, and we are excited to feature a new Audition Master Class (see detailed class descriptions below)
- Discounted Christmas production registration
- Free registration for our Audition Workshop in January and discounted registration for the Audition Master Class in the fall
- Priority for our Spring Production audition time slots (audition time slots do fill up each year)
- Discounted Spring production registration
- Priority invitations to participate in additional acting (we are often asked to cast various stage, video, and film projects), singing and worship opportunities that come up throughout the year.
Academy classes will be Monday and Thursday afternoon/evenings, enrollment is limited. Classes will be small groups and focused training for developing students' personal technique and skills. Regular attendance for the 8-week session is critical. Please review Academy Absence policy/request form in the attached Academy/Production Contract. Below are the Fall 2018 class descriptions (schedule subject to change based on enrollment):
- Audition Master Class- 6th grade and up*- Mondays (10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/5) from 4-6pm- By popular demand, this class will be an expanded, more in-depth version of the one-day workshop in January. Students will have the opportunity to further develop audition techniques and receive individual coaching on songs, monologue selections and choreography for Spotlight and other auditions. Attendance is HIGHLY encouraged for both new and returning Spotlight students who wish to be considered for participation in the spring musical, as this will both explain what we are looking for in their audition and will also allow directors to have additional time to observe students, more than a brief audition allows. This class will have limited enrollment to allow for personal coaching and feedback. *This class is open to all, but discounted for Academy students. Registration in Academy and/or the Audition Master Class entitle students to sign up for priority audition time slots for the spring show (time slots will fill up).
MUSICAL THEATRE AND ACTING CLASSES-
- "Broadway Basics"- Thursdays- Work on the basics for performing in Musical Theatre! This class will cover vocals, choreography and acting within the song. Students will learn a variety of show-stopping numbers from favorite Broadway shows!
- "Broadway Bound"- Thursdays, 8th grade and up*- Students will continue to build upon their singing/dancing/acting skills and explore fully-staged scenes and songs from Broadway musicals. This class is accelerated for older students with prior experience in a Spotlight Academy Musical Theatre class. *Prerequisite of having taken a previous Spotlight Academy Musical Theatre class
- "Acting Out"- Thursdays- With a unique blend of improvisation and scene work, student will enjoy acting for creativity and believability. Special emphasis is placed on developing the student's listening and responding/reacting skills with scene partners.
- "Mini Movie Making"- Thursdays, 4th grade and up- Students will experience the thrill of filming, editing and screening simple stories. This class gives students opportunities to work on camera, behind the camera and on post production elements. The class will conclude with a screening of the mini movies.
- Acting II- Thursdays, 6th grade and up*- This accelerated acting class allows students to build on the tools and skills they gained from previous Spotlight Acting classes. Students will stretch their ability beyond the basics. *Prerequisite of having taken a previous Spotlight Academy Acting class (Monologue class, Scene Study/Making A Scene class, On-Camera Acting or Improv Class).
- Guitar- Mondays- Guitar for beginning students and students who would like to advance their skills. Student must have/bring a Guitar. Students will work with Calvary's own amazing Worship Leaders!
- Songwriting- 6th grade and up- Mondays-
Working with Calvary's amazing staff musicians, students will have the opportunity to learn how to create a song that is accessible and also an artistic expression of your idea using simple songwriting techniques. Experience the connection we have through music to the listener.
Christmas Presentation- we offer the unique opportunity to participate in our Christmas presentation on December 8th & 9th, in Calvary’s main services. All students are welcome to be involved, without casting from a formal audition process! The presentation will include a comical and poignant original script, original music and choreography created just for us by professionals in the entertainment industry! Rehearsals will be Monday evenings and Saturday afternoons (not all students will be required at all rehearsals). Please review the attached Spotlight Academy and Christmas Production Contract, to understand the commitment, prior to registering.
Registration is now closed for the Fall/Christmas sessions. Please check back for future information or fill out the Student Interest Form to receive email updates! If you are interested in the Audition Master Class, please email email@example.com.
FYI- Looking at the different options in the Conejo Valley for performing arts classes, at an average of $14 - $19 per hour, we are thrilled to offer competitive training with instructors who work professionally in the entertainment industry (including Broadway, television/film, and renowned recording artists) at an average of $4.50 per hour!
We are looking forward to a great year, and hope you will join us!
Questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all who came to see Mary Poppins! What a fun show, we are grateful to all who helped to make our production a huge success!