We are so excited to be launching our 11th year of Spotlight in the Fall, as well as the 3rd year of our Creative Arts Academy!
FALL 2017- JOIN SPOTLIGHT CREATIVE ARTS ACADEMY
Spotlight launched our Creative Arts Academy in the fall of 2015 with enthusiastic response and has consistently filled classes since. Academy classes offer students the opportunity to grow and develop their skills, while working with industry professionals with impressive experience! Classes are small groups and focused training for developing students' personal technique and skills. Students in 2nd – 12th grades may sign up annually to join Spotlight Academy which entitles them to the following benefits:
- Academy Classes- 2 sessions (Fall and Spring) on Monday & Thursday evenings, Classes such as Guitar, Music/Band/Songwriting, Musical Theatre Skills, Vocal Intensive, On-Camera Acting, Filmmaking and Improv. These classes are designed to continually develop your skills, so even if you have taken these classes before, you are encouraged to keep taking them as they include new material to continue to grow. Detailed class descriptions can be found below.
- Discounted registration for Christmas production session (if registered in the fall)
- Free registration for our Audition Workshop
- Priority for our Spring Production audition time slots (audition time slots do fill up each year, last spring we had about 40 students on a waiting list for an audition time)
- Discounted registration for spring production
- Priority invites to participate in additional acting (stage, video, film), singing and worship opportunities that come up throughout the year.
Spotlight also offers the unique opportunity to participate in our Christmas mini-musical, all students are welcome to be involved, without casting from a formal audition process! The production will involve a comical and poignant original script, original music and choreography created just for us by professionals in the entertainment industry!
Spotlight's Fall 2017 Academy Classes are:
- Musical Theatre Skills- Thursdays, 2nd - 5th grades from 4-5pm, 6th grades and up from 5-6pm- Hone your "triple threat" skills as we recreate show-stopping numbers from Broadway's biggest hits! Each week will include vocal and dance warm-ups/exercises before we hit the floor to learn choreography and vocals. Over the course of the class, we will cover proper theatre dance technique, the basics of safe singing, character development, theatre vocabulary and showmanship for the stage.
- iMovie Magic- Thursdays, 4th/5th grades from 5-6pm, 6th grades and up from 6-7pm- It's time to bring your stories to life! Using iMovie or comparable apps, students will work together to produce their own Short films. Ideas will come to life while exploring the basics of solid plot points, strong character choices, various camera shots and simple editing. The series ends with a screening of all the Short films produced in class. Note: Students will need to provide their own device (smartphone or tablet) that has iMovie or a comparable app loaded on it.
- "Making A Scene" Acting Class- Thursdays, 6th grade and up from 7-8:30pm- Here is your chance to make a scene in public and not get in trouble for it! This acting class focuses on solid scene work through characterization and connecting. Actors will create life in a scene, modifying and tweaking their performances as it relates to Stage, Television and Film. "Making a Scene" will help actors of all levels strengthen their acting skills and build confidence in any acting scenario.
- Guitar- Mondays from 4-5pm- Guitar for beginning students and students who would like to advance their skills. Student must have/bring a Guitar. Students will work with Calvary's own amazing Worship Leaders!
- Music/Band/Songwriting- 6th grade and up- Mondays from 5-6pm- This track is designed to help you take your talent with an instrument and use it as part of a band. Learn from Calvary's amazing staff musicians, the intricacies of being part of a group of musicians all working together to produce something amazing! Students will also have the opportunity to learn how to create a song that is accessible and also an artistic expression of your idea using simple songwriting techniques. Experience the connection we have through music to the listener.
- The "Reel" Deal Acting Class may be added/offered if there is enough interest (please indicate interest below). Are you ready for your close-up? This acting class focuses on students perfecting one or two performance monologues. They will walk through the process of choosing a piece, memorizing it, building and strengthening their character, making strong choices, and performing it on camera. The monologues would be appropriate for any audition setting. Students are welcome to bring a zip drive at the end of the series to download their performance and bring it home as a keepsake, and the finished product will not only be proof of personal growth but can also be used to add to a performance reel or in various audition settings.
CLICK HERE to register for Spotlight's Creative Arts Academy 2017 - 2018!
Questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
THANK YOU to all who joined us for Peter Pan, Jr. the weekend of May 5th - 7th!
Wendy Darling loves to tell stories to her brothers, Michael and John. But when her father announces she must move out of the nursery, Peter Pan comes to visit the children and whisks them away to Neverland. Their journey introduces them to the Lost Boys, Mermaids, Indians and even the infamous pirate, Captain Hook! It’s Peter to the rescue when Wendy is taken captive by the dreaded captain, who has his own sinister plans in mind for our hero.
If your school would be interested in attending a FREE school performance on Friday, May 4th, 2018, please email email@example.com. Each year we have over 2000 local school students attend this show, and we fill up, so get your request in ASAP!
A great big thank you to all involved with our Christmas production, Down to Earth 3: The Final Rescue. The musical/service can be seen HERE. What a fantastic gift and blessing it was to all who were there! If you weren't able to participate with us for Christmas, we missed you!