SPOTLIGHT SPRING 2019:
Spotlight Creative Arts Academy is excited to launch OUR 12th YEAR, as well as the 4th year of our Creative Arts Academy! Take a look at our 2018 - 2019 Spotlight Schedule HERE.
SPOTLIGHT CREATIVE ARTS ACADEMY is excited to announce our Spring 2019 production of…
Based on the original Broadway production that ran for over thirteen years and was nominated for nine Tony Awards, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Jr. is a fantastic adaptation of this adventurous story of transformation. This production features some of the most popular songs ever written by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman, along with the new songs by Mr. Menken and Tim Rice.
The classic story tells of Belle, a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast, who is really a young prince trapped under the spell of an enchantress. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end and he will be transformed to his former self. But time is running out. If the Beast does not learn his lesson soon, he and his household will be doomed for all eternity.
Join us for this “tale as old as time”, Beauty and the Beast Jr.
Ticket information coming soon! Our next session will be our Summer Camp, and then our Fall Session. CLICK HERE to be added to our email list for upcoming session and registration information.
- Spotlight launched our Creative Arts Academy in the fall of 2015 with enthusiastic response and has consistently filled classes since. Academy classes offer students the opportunity to grow and develop their skills, while working with industry professionals with impressive experience! Students in 2nd – 12th grades may sign up annually to join Spotlight Academy which entitles them to the following benefits:
- Academy Classes- Spring session on Monday (music classes) and/or Thursday (acting classes) evenings beginning the week of 1/21 through the week of 3/18. Spring session classes include Guitar, Songwriting, Intro and Accelerated Improv classes, Mini Movie Making, also opportunities to participate in Children/Teen Choir. These classes are designed to continually develop your skills, so even if you have taken these classes before, you are encouraged to keep taking them as they include new material to continue to grow.
- Discounted registration for Christmas production session (if registered in the fall)
- Free registration for our Audition Workshop
- Priority for our Spring Production audition time slots (audition time slots do fill up each year, last spring we had about 40 students on a waiting list for an audition time)
- Discounted registration for spring production
- Priority invites to participate in additional acting (stage, video, film), singing and worship opportunities that come up throughout the year.
Academy classes will begin the week of 1/21 on Monday and/or Thursday evenings, 1 hour each (schedule may be updated based on enrollment). Classes will be small groups and focused training for developing students’ personal technique and skills. Space is limited and regular attendance is critical. Please consider your schedule carefully before committing to the 8-week session. Students should not miss more than 1 class. Please review attached Academy Absence policy/request form.
MONDAY MUSIC CLASSES:
* Guitar- For both beginning students and students who would like to advance their skills. Student must have/bring an acoustic Guitar. Students will work with Calvary's own amazing Worship Leaders!
* Songwriting- Grades 8th -12th- Working with Calvary's amazing staff musicians, students will have the opportunity to learn how to create a song that is accessible and also an artistic expression of your idea using simple songwriting techniques. Experience the connection we have through music to the listener.
* Children/Teen Choir- We are in the planning stages of launching a Children's & Teen Choir. An invite will be sent out to interested students!
THURSDAY ACTING CLASSES:
* Intro to Improv- 2nd - 5th grades- Thursdays from 5-6pm- This is a spontaneous, entertaining and fun form of acting in which the plot, characters and dialog of a game, scene or story are made up in the moment. Students will gain presentation confidence and improve communication skills. Using the “rules of improv,” students will create historical interactive comedy, as well as touching moments.
* "Mini Movie Making"- 4th - 12th grades- Thursdays 6-7pm- Students will experience the thrill of filming, editing and screening simple stories. This class gives students opportunities to work on camera, behind the camera and on post production elements.
* Accelerated Improv- Grades 6th - 12th- Thursdays 7-8pm- This is a spontaneous, entertaining and fun form of acting in which the plot, characters and dialog of a game, scene or story are made up in the moment. Students will gain presentation confidence and improve communication skills. They will perfect the “rules of improv” to create historical interactive comedy, as well as touching moments.
- Audition Workshop for grades 2nd – 12th. Saturday, 1/5/19 from 1pm – 4pm. Attendance is HIGHLY encouraged for both new and returning Spotlight students who wish to be considered for participation in the spring musical, as this will both explain what we are looking for in their audition and will also allow directors to have additional time to observe students, more than a brief audition allows. This workshop will help students develop audition techniques, offer vocal/acting coaching, and choreography. Registration for the Audition Workshop is $50 for non-academy students and FREE for Academy Students. Students must be pre-registered to attend; we will not be able to accommodate walk-up registrations.
- Auditions for "Beauty and the Beast" (for students in 2nd – 12th grades) as well as other singing, worship, acting and improv opportunities. Monday and Tuesday, 1/7 & 1/8 from 5pm – 9pm (callbacks for some students will be Saturday, 1/12 from 12:30pm – 4:30pm). When you are signing up for an audition time, please review the attached audition forms/information and production details before auditioning. You will receive a confirmation email with the link to the audition sign-ups automatically once you enroll in Spotlight Academy and/or the Audition Workshop. Priority sign-ups for audition times will be given to students enrolled in Spotlight Academy and the Audition Workshop. Any student wishing to audition, must be signed up for an audition time, we cannot fit walk-ups in the schedule, and cannot take any additional students if there are students on the waiting list. Any questions, please email email@example.com.
Last year we had over 140 students audition for our spring musical. We typically have a Principal cast, an Ensemble cast and a Chorus cast with the latter being involved in the large numbers (and requiring less rehearsal time). If your student would like to be in Chorus and not audition for lead/ensemble roles please let us know and the directors will consider them for Chorus. They should still attend the audition workshop for the directors to observe them. CLICK HERE if your student would like to be considered for Chorus instead of auditioning.
- We are looking to expand our production teams for "Beauty and the Beast", as well as going forward as Spotlight grows our Creative Arts Academy. We are looking to offer additional opportunities for students to receive training and develop drama and worship teams, instrumental training, video and tv/film opportunities, technical training, etc. If you are involved (or know someone who is) with any aspect of creative arts either by profession or hobby, we would love to connect with you. We are looking for (but not limited to) vocal & acting coaches, choreography instructors/dancers, music producers, script writers, costumers, hair/make-up artists, set designers/builders, school show coordinator, marketing support, cast support/events, student discipleship, ministry outreach/serve opportunities, volunteer coordination, production assistant and other creative/technical/performing arts gifts. Please CLICK HERE to volunteer.
Looking at the various options in the Conejo Valley for performing arts classes, at an average of $14 - $19 per hour, we are thrilled to offer competitive training with instructors who work professionally in the entertainment industry (including Broadway, television/film, and renowned recording artists) at an average of $4.50 per hour!
We are looking forward to a great 12th Anniversary year, and hope you will join us!
Questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have been thrilled with the overwhelming response to our Spotlight Academy the last 3 years! Academy classes offer students the opportunity to grow and develop their skills, while working with industry professionals in a small group setting! We are continually expanding our offerings to give additional opportunities to train in various aspects of Creative Arts. All students in 2nd - 12th grades are encouraged to sign up annually to join Spotlight Academy, which will entitle them to the following benefits:
- Academy Classes (Fall and Spring sessions)- Fall 2018 classes include: Musical Theatre, Acting Classes, Guitar and Songwriting, and we are excited to feature a new Audition Master Class (see detailed class descriptions below)
- Discounted Christmas production registration
- Free registration for our Audition Workshop in January and discounted registration for the Audition Master Class in the fall
- Priority for our Spring Production audition time slots (audition time slots do fill up each year)
- Discounted Spring production registration
- Priority invitations to participate in additional acting (we are often asked to cast various stage, video, and film projects), singing and worship opportunities that come up throughout the year.
Academy classes will be Monday and Thursday afternoon/evenings, enrollment is limited. Classes will be small groups and focused training for developing students' personal technique and skills. Regular attendance for the 8-week session is critical. Please review Academy Absence policy/request form in the attached Academy/Production Contract. Below are the Fall 2018 class descriptions (schedule subject to change based on enrollment):
- Audition Master Class- 6th grade and up*- Mondays (10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/5) from 4-6pm- By popular demand, this class will be an expanded, more in-depth version of the one-day workshop in January. Students will have the opportunity to further develop audition techniques and receive individual coaching on songs, monologue selections and choreography for Spotlight and other auditions. Attendance is HIGHLY encouraged for both new and returning Spotlight students who wish to be considered for participation in the spring musical, as this will both explain what we are looking for in their audition and will also allow directors to have additional time to observe students, more than a brief audition allows. This class will have limited enrollment to allow for personal coaching and feedback. *This class is open to all, but discounted for Academy students. Registration in Academy and/or the Audition Master Class entitle students to sign up for priority audition time slots for the spring show (time slots will fill up).
MUSICAL THEATRE AND ACTING CLASSES-
- "Broadway Basics"- Thursdays- Work on the basics for performing in Musical Theatre! This class will cover vocals, choreography and acting within the song. Students will learn a variety of show-stopping numbers from favorite Broadway shows!
- "Broadway Bound"- Thursdays, 8th grade and up*- Students will continue to build upon their singing/dancing/acting skills and explore fully-staged scenes and songs from Broadway musicals. This class is accelerated for older students with prior experience in a Spotlight Academy Musical Theatre class. *Prerequisite of having taken a previous Spotlight Academy Musical Theatre class
- "Acting Out"- Thursdays- With a unique blend of improvisation and scene work, student will enjoy acting for creativity and believability. Special emphasis is placed on developing the student's listening and responding/reacting skills with scene partners.
- "Mini Movie Making"- Thursdays, 4th grade and up- Students will experience the thrill of filming, editing and screening simple stories. This class gives students opportunities to work on camera, behind the camera and on post production elements. The class will conclude with a screening of the mini movies.
- Acting II- Thursdays, 6th grade and up*- This accelerated acting class allows students to build on the tools and skills they gained from previous Spotlight Acting classes. Students will stretch their ability beyond the basics. *Prerequisite of having taken a previous Spotlight Academy Acting class (Monologue class, Scene Study/Making A Scene class, On-Camera Acting or Improv Class).
- Guitar- Mondays- Guitar for beginning students and students who would like to advance their skills. Student must have/bring a Guitar. Students will work with Calvary's own amazing Worship Leaders!
- Songwriting- 6th grade and up- Mondays-
Working with Calvary's amazing staff musicians, students will have the opportunity to learn how to create a song that is accessible and also an artistic expression of your idea using simple songwriting techniques. Experience the connection we have through music to the listener.
Christmas Presentation- we offer the unique opportunity to participate in our Christmas presentation on December 8th & 9th, in Calvary’s main services. All students are welcome to be involved, without casting from a formal audition process! The presentation will include a comical and poignant original script, original music and choreography created just for us by professionals in the entertainment industry! Rehearsals will be Monday evenings and Saturday afternoons (not all students will be required at all rehearsals). Please review the attached Spotlight Academy and Christmas Production Contract, to understand the commitment, prior to registering.
Registration is now closed for the Fall/Christmas sessions. Please check back for future information or fill out the Student Interest Form to receive email updates! If you are interested in the Audition Master Class, please email email@example.com.
FYI- Looking at the different options in the Conejo Valley for performing arts classes, at an average of $14 - $19 per hour, we are thrilled to offer competitive training with instructors who work professionally in the entertainment industry (including Broadway, television/film, and renowned recording artists) at an average of $4.50 per hour!
We are looking forward to a great year, and hope you will join us!
Questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all who came to see Mary Poppins! What a fun show, we are grateful to all who helped to make our production a huge success!