SPOTLIGHT CREATIVE ARTS ACADEMY is excited to announce our Spring 2018 production of…
Happy New Year!
A great big thank you to all involved with our Christmas production, “Twas the Lock-In Before Christmas”. What a fantastic gift and blessing it was to all who were there! If you weren't able to participate with us for Christmas, we missed you!
Celebrating Spotlight's 11th Anniversary year! Join us for our exciting Winter/Spring offerings.
We are busy planning for our upcoming Winter/Spring sessions! We will kick off our season with an Audition Workshop and are VERY excited to bring Mary Poppins to the stage on the weekend of May 4th, 2018.
Mary Poppins Jr.is based on one of the most popular Disney movies of all time and the Broadway musical that played for over 2,500 performances and received multiple Olivier and Tony Awards nominations!
The jack-of-all trades, Bert, introduces us to England in 1910 and the troubled Banks family. Young Jane and Michael have sent many a nanny packing before Mary Poppins arrives on their doorstep. Using a combination of magic and common sense, she must teach the family members how to value each other again. Mary Poppins takes the children on many magical and memorable adventures, but Jane and Michael aren't the only ones upon whom she has a profound effect. Even grown-ups can learn a lesson or two from the nanny who advises that "Anything can happen if you let it."
Mary Poppins Jr. is an enchanting mixture of irresistible story, unforgettable songs and breathtaking dance numbers.
Here are our upcoming opportunities:
Spotlight launched our Creative Arts Academy in the fall of 2015 with enthusiastic response and has consistently filled classes since. Academy classes offer students the opportunity to grow and develop their skills, while working with industry professionals with impressive experience! Students in 2nd – 12th grades may sign up annually to join Spotlight Academy which entitles them to the following benefits:
Academy Classes- Spring session on Monday (music classes) and/or Thursday (acting classes) evenings beginning the week of 1/22 through the week of 3/22. Spring session classes include Vocal Technique 101, Guitar, Songwriting, Musical Theatre Workshop, iMovie Magic, Acting/Mastering the Monologue and Improv. These classes are designed to continually develop your skills, so even if you have taken these classes before, you are encouraged to keep taking them as they include new material to continue to grow.
Discounted registration for Christmas production session (if registered in the fall)
Free registration for our Audition Workshop
Priority for our Spring Production audition time slots (audition time slots do fill up each year, last spring we had about 40 students on a waiting list for an audition time)
Discounted registration for spring production
Priority invites to participate in additional acting (stage, video, film), singing and worship opportunities that come up throughout the year.
Academy classes will be Monday/Thursday evenings, 1 hour each between the hours of 4 – 8pm (specific class schedule will be determined based on enrollment). Classes will be small groups and focused training for developing students’ personal technique and skills. Space is limited and regular attendance is critical. Please consider your schedule carefully before committing to the 8-week session. Students should not miss more than 1 class. Please review attached Academy Absence policy/request form.
MONDAY MUSIC CLASSES:
* Vocal Technique 101 is designed to teach you how to make your voice sound more powerful, how to use vocal technique to properly care for your voice and expand your range and expression, and how to become more confident in vocal/dramatic performances. Students will have the opportunity to prepare solos and small ensemble pieces to sing in class.
* Guitar- For both beginning students and students who would like to advance their skills. Student must have/bring an acoustic Guitar. Students will work with Calvary's own amazing Worship Leaders!
* Songwriting- 6th grade and up- Working with Calvary's amazing staff musicians, students will have the opportunity to learn how to create a song that is accessible and also an artistic expression of your idea using simple songwriting techniques. Experience the connection we have through music to the listener.
THURSDAY ACTING CLASSES:
* Acting, Mastering the Monologue- will focus on the process of choosing, breaking down, and performing powerful and engaging monologues. Students will explore both comedy and drama pieces; strengthening their performances through character coaching, technical adjustments and video playback. The pieces will be appropriate for any audition setting.
* iMovie Magic- Using iMovie or comparable apps, students will work together in groups to produce their own short films. Ideas will come to life while exploring the basics of solid plot points, various camera shots and simple editing. Students will fill the roles of both cast and crew while filming. The series ends with a screening of all the Short films produced in class. Note: Students will be using their own devices (smartphone or tablet) that has iMovie or a comparable app loaded on it.
* Improv Acting- Grades 6th - 12th- This is a spontaneous, entertaining and fun form of acting in which the plot, characters and dialog of a game, scene or story are made up in the moment. Students will gain presentation confidence and improve communication skills. They will perfect the “rules of improv” to create historical interactive comedy, as well as touching moments.
* Musical Theatre Workshop- Students will explore the world of Musical Theatre! Over the course of the class, we will cover the basics of safe singing, character development, theatre vocabulary and showmanship for the stage.
Audition Workshop for grades 2nd – 12th. Saturday, 1/6/18 from 1pm – 4pm. Attendance is HIGHLY encouraged for both new and returning Spotlight students who wish to be considered for participation in the spring musical, as this will both explain what we are looking for in their audition and will also allow directors to have additional time to observe students, more than a brief audition allows. This workshop will help students develop audition techniques, offer vocal/acting coaching, and choreography. Registration for the Audition Workshop is $50 for non-academy students and FREE for Academy Students. Students must be pre-registered to attend; we will not be able to accommodate walk-up registrations. CLICK HERE to register for Spotlight Academy and Audition Workshop.
Auditions for Mary Poppins (for students in 2nd – 12th grades) as well as other singing, worship, acting and improv opportunities. Monday and Tuesday, 1/8 & 1/9 from 5pm – 9pm (callbacks for some students will be Tuesday, 1/16 from 5pm – 9pm). Once you are signed up for an audition time you will receive a follow up email with audition forms/information and production details to review before auditioning. You will receive a confirmation email with the link to the audition sign-ups automatically once you enroll in Spotlight Academy and/or the Audition Workshop. Priority sign-ups for audition times will be given to students enrolled in Spotlight Academy and the Audition Workshop. Any student wishing to audition, must be signed up for an audition time, we cannot fit walk-ups in the schedule, and cannot take any additional students if there are students on the waiting list. Any questions please email email@example.com.
Last year we had over 140 students audition for our spring musical. We typically have a Principal cast, an Ensemble cast and a Chorus cast with the latter being involved in the large numbers (and requiring less rehearsal time). If your student would like to be in Chorus and not audition for lead/ensemble roles please let us know and the directors will consider them for Chorus. They should still attend the audition workshop for the directors to observe them. CLICK HERE if your student would like to be considered for Chorus instead of auditioning.
We are looking to expand our production teams for Mary Poppins, as well as going forward as Spotlight grows our Creative Arts Academy. We are looking to offer additional opportunities for students to receive training and develop drama and worship teams, instrumental training, video and tv/film opportunities, technical training, etc. If you are involved (or know someone who is) with any aspect of creative arts either by profession or hobby, we would love to connect with you. We are looking for (but not limited to) vocal & acting coaches, choreography instructors/dancers, music producers, script writers, costumers, hair/make-up artists, set designers/builders, school show coordinator, marketing support, cast support/events, student discipleship, ministry outreach/serve opportunities, volunteer coordination, production assistant and other creative/technical/performing arts gifts. Please CLICK HERE to volunteer.
Looking at the various options in the Conejo Valley for performing arts classes, at an average of $14 - $19 per hour, we are thrilled to offer competitive training with instructors who work professionally in the entertainment industry (including Broadway, television/film, and renowned recording artists) at an average of $4.50 per hour!
We are looking forward to a great 11th Anniversary year, and hope you will join us!
Questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your school would be interested in attending a FREE school performance on Friday, May 4th, 2018, please email email@example.com. Each year we have over 2000 local school students attend this show, and we fill up, so get your request in ASAP!